Friday, May 24, 2013

One dream about being in a group of women in a halfway house.

Another where I was in a huge home, with this huge family - most were adults, dark-haired, but there were some kids too. I knew there was something wrong. Soon I was talking to someone down the end of one room and I saw in the corner, behind a wardrobe, the patriarch sexually abusing one of the little kids. The others were just looking away, trying not to know. I stepped back so it was out of my line of sight too, but I realised I had to do something. I yelled 'NO', hoping this would be enough to tell him it couldn't continue, without creating a dangerous situation. It worked - the old guy stepped out from corner, away from the kid, fearing he was busted.

I knew then this was endemic in this family, that everyone knew about it on some level or other but it was never spoken about, that he had done it to lots of the adults when they were kids, that others may be doing it too, there was an unspoken law not to talk about this.

I started going around the house protesting to people, saying I had seen it, it couldn't continue, something had to be done. I knew there wasn't enough evidence and that what I'd seen would be questioned. I found I couldn't exactly remember what he was wearing and in my memory it was starting to look like someone else. But I felt sure of what I had seen, too. Most people blanked me or told me to go away but I found one woman in her forties, sad and listless, and from her reaction I knew it had happened to her and she knew exactly what I was talking about. I grabbed her in a headlock and brought her with me to look for other people who could help. We ended up down in the basement/computer room where there were a couple of rangy nephews lying on couches, outsiders in the family. I started talking to them and I knew they knew what I was talking about too. I figured that if I could get them to talk I might have a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment