I had to throw out one of my favourite potplants. It got red spider mite. It'd had a rough time since I brought it home - I'd tried it in different spots, then repotted it, it seemed to be getting better and there was even a new shoot coming though - then it just started to look sad again, and the leaves were yellowing very quickly. I looked closer and discovered the whole plant was covered in a series of very fine webs. There were even one or two of my hairs caught in the webs. And tiny spiders were crawling all over.The undersides of those big, broad leaves were absolutely covered in spider-mite eggs along the midribs and veins. I thought about treating it but it seems that they get into the soil, and I have been trying not to use any pesticides - so, out it went. Now I miss it! What will the mites do, once they've killed it? Will they find something else to live on in amongst the rubbish, in the dark down the bottom of the chute?
No comments:
Post a Comment