A beautiful day, a day of small completions. We moved in September but we've never quite finished moving. Bare walls, the odd box here and there. Today I put away the pictures I don't want to hang, got the others ready to hang, sorted through junk and knick-knacks, reordered my bookshelves to get stacks of books off the floor. Now I have a collection of photos and beloved things on top of the shelves - the reading light my poppa gave me, the small dragon from Nan with the coin in its mouth, the silver pocket warmer from N, the opera glasses from L. Photos of dear ones, the old pack of miniature tarot cards, the cup-cake pin-cushion sewn by A. The canasta cards from Auntie M, etc, etc. J & J gave us a photo they took in Malaysia before they left here - it's a table and chair in a bright verandah looking out to trees, a cat watching the trees - so that is on the wall now. One casualty of my orderings was the small photo R gave me last Christmas, of hands laid peacefully in a lap. I had found the right place for it - propped against the window in front of my desk, where it is just within my field of vision as I work - but I hadn't realised the window was leaking from the day of hard rain. Fifteen minutes later I noticed the (unframed) matt board was soaking up water. Only a little water had crept onto the photo. I have weighted it between paper towels. Maybe this will be enough to save even the matt.
I didn't repot any of the plants I bought yesterday - I want to give them a chance to adjust to the new light conditions first. But I cleaned out all the old pots and ordered things on the patio, and even threw out one of the money plants that had got rootbound. Perhaps I'll give away more of the money plants once I've done the repotting - they grow so easily and self-propogate, so they tend to take over. I hope I can keep the new plants alive. I chose a great variety of foliage, and I'm so happy to have them. The oxalis with its great purple false-clover leaves looks a little fragile, but we'll see.
I think this was the perfect new year's eve day. Ready for a new year.
I didn't repot any of the plants I bought yesterday - I want to give them a chance to adjust to the new light conditions first. But I cleaned out all the old pots and ordered things on the patio, and even threw out one of the money plants that had got rootbound. Perhaps I'll give away more of the money plants once I've done the repotting - they grow so easily and self-propogate, so they tend to take over. I hope I can keep the new plants alive. I chose a great variety of foliage, and I'm so happy to have them. The oxalis with its great purple false-clover leaves looks a little fragile, but we'll see.
I think this was the perfect new year's eve day. Ready for a new year.

No comments:
Post a Comment