Saturday, October 27, 2012

Dreamed that I was out by the back fence with N and a young woman who was standing in for my little sister, because she couldn't be there, and one or two others. It was night and for some reason we were watching the sky. There were thousands of stars visible. I saw a shooting star - I exclaimed and pointed but as I did I started to see dozens and then hundreds of others brightening and fizzing away into nothingness. I looked to the Southern Cross (in the dream I called it the Aurora Borealis) in time to see its stars do the same. They were gone. It was clear we were witnessing the end of our known existence, our galaxy coming to its end.

Before I could be terrified I knew I had to make sure my sister was okay. I hugged the girl as we looked at the sky and told her 'It's an incredible thing to be alive at this time, to see this.' I knew I had to find my actual sister and teach her this, wherever she was, in time for her to be okay.

And then I started repeating an exclamation of wonder - maybe 'Look at them! Just look at them!' I said it over and over until I woke up and then it echoed around keeping me awake.

Gerard Manley Hopkins, The Starlight Night

LOOK at the stars! look, look up at the skies!
  O look at all the fire-folk sitting in the air!
  The bright boroughs, the circle-citadels there!
Down in dim woods the diamond delves! the elves’-eyes!
The grey lawns cold where gold, where quickgold lies!        5
  Wind-beat whitebeam! airy abeles set on a flare!
  Flake-doves sent floating forth at a farmyard scare!—
Ah well! it is all a purchase, all is a prize.
Buy then! bid then!—What?—Prayer, patience, aims, vows.
Look, look: a May-mess, like on orchard boughs!        10
  Look! March-bloom, like on mealed-with-yellow sallows!
These are indeed the barn; withindoors house
The shocks. This piece-bright paling shuts the spouse
  Christ home, Christ and his mother and all his hallows.

No comments:

Post a Comment