stuck in a rut this weekend. so much to read, so much to do and I'm just drifting in space.
yesterday I repotted one of the new plants, I think it's a lipstick plant, which I realised was root-bound. growing back in on itself, all the roots one pale and rigid body in the shape of the pot. I tried to tease out the clump a little bit before repotting but it was very firm. The foliage is still healthy but I'd noticed a couple of new leaves had just shrivelled, and it was starting to send out runners. actually I've just looked it up and it seems they like to be root bound, this is what makes them flower. but I didn't want it all turning to runners. this seems to be the inclination with potplants here, and it starts to make the garden room feel slightly creepy, like we might be housing triffids. one of the money plants sent a shoot down and along the floor, around the feet of the dryer and out, as though it was going to catch N by the ankle and pull him in. anyway, I pinched the runners off the lipstick and repotted. I suppose it will just devote itself to foliage now for a while before feeling snug enough to bloom again.
yesterday I repotted one of the new plants, I think it's a lipstick plant, which I realised was root-bound. growing back in on itself, all the roots one pale and rigid body in the shape of the pot. I tried to tease out the clump a little bit before repotting but it was very firm. The foliage is still healthy but I'd noticed a couple of new leaves had just shrivelled, and it was starting to send out runners. actually I've just looked it up and it seems they like to be root bound, this is what makes them flower. but I didn't want it all turning to runners. this seems to be the inclination with potplants here, and it starts to make the garden room feel slightly creepy, like we might be housing triffids. one of the money plants sent a shoot down and along the floor, around the feet of the dryer and out, as though it was going to catch N by the ankle and pull him in. anyway, I pinched the runners off the lipstick and repotted. I suppose it will just devote itself to foliage now for a while before feeling snug enough to bloom again.
No comments:
Post a Comment