Wednesday, August 27, 2014

I dreamed last night that I was in an English lit class - a senior high school class - run by Neil. I had been coming to classes very erratically, I was preoccupied with other things, and actually felt like the work was boring, I couldn't concentrate, couldn't get engaged. I came to class late one day and it was after a test that I'd done with the others. I thought I wasn't going to pass because I really wasn't doing the work. I came into the classroom and was very surprised to see my test response, which I'd done as visual art, blown up very large and displayed on the walls of the classroom. It was a collage or collages of swans or flamingoes with long snaky necks, arranged in repeated images so the pattern of the lines was dominant, with a really eerie but beautiful background. I'd done them in soft colour, black and white with soft pink but they were copied only in black and white, multiple huge copies around the classroom with other students' works smaller. They still looked good in black and white. The other kids were saying the teacher had put them up because they were the best test response. I was shocked because I hadn't been a good student but it turned out I was able to do them because I was disengaged from the classwork and readings, was able to do my own thing and come in at a tangent.

No comments:

Post a Comment